-
January 22nd, 2004, 06:23 PM
#1
Inactive Member
I have read some things about kitchen outlets on a 20-amp circuit with a 20-amp outlet. I am wondering if this is required in the CE code, as I have never seen any 20-amp outlet in a kitchen.
I am looking to rewire two outlets in my kitchen and want to know if the 15-amp outlets/breaker is appropriate or not.
The two outlets that I am looking to rewire are not on a counter and are not for a fridge or microwave. They are across the room from each other, so I was thinking I could run 14/3 from each outlet to the same double-pole 15-amp breaker in the panel. (The panel is directly below one outlet, so I figure I may as well just connect the wires from each outlet directly to the breaker to save space within the outlet box and to avoid fishing two wires to one outlet box)
Can anyone provide me with information on whether this 15-amp solution is in accordance with the Canadian Electrical Code?
-
January 22nd, 2004, 10:28 PM
#2
Inactive Member
Thomas: 20A receptacles are not required in a kitchen (however you can install them provided the wiring is acceptable for 20A). Split receptacles are only required on counter top receptacles, so 14-3 and a 2-pole breaker are not needed, 14-2 and single pole breakers are adequate (however if you really want you can install split receptacles). As for putting two conductors under one breaker terminal [img]eek.gif[/img] breaker terminals are only rated for one conductor. It is much better to splice the cables in a 4x4 J.B. [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img] next to the panel.
-
January 25th, 2004, 08:38 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Thanks for the information Neil. I'll put in a junction box for the connection.
-
February 3rd, 2004, 03:12 AM
#4
Inactive Member
CCRASH,
WHERE IN THE CODE BOOK DO YOU SEE THAT ONLY ONE CONDUCTER CAN BE INSTALLED IN A BREAKER. ALL THE 15 AMP BREAKERS I HAVE SEEN ARE RATED AT AWG WIRE SIZE. IF YOU HAVE TWO RECEPTICALS SPACED OPPOSITE THE PANEL, AND ARE STANDARD 15 AMP RECEPTICALS, WHY CAN YOU NOT PLACE BOTH WIRES UNDER THE SAME BREAKER? IS IT ANY DIFFERENT FROM "LOOPING" ONE RECEPTICAL TO ANOTHER WITH A "PIG TAIL" IN THAT SAME RECEPTICAL BOX? AS FOR THE 4X4 J-BOX NEXT TO THE PANEL, WHY?
-
February 3rd, 2004, 02:43 PM
#5
Inactive Member
rule 12-3034 has changed since the 18 th edition.
basiclly it says that splices can be made in a panelboard if it is a exsisting installation.
This was revised for the addition of transfer switches I think
-
February 4th, 2004, 12:42 AM
#6
Inactive Member
Square D breakers have a drawing on the side showing how two load wires are to be installed. Depending on the electrical inspector, even that may not be conclusive evidence that it is approved for two wires, as I found out.
-
February 4th, 2004, 04:56 PM
#7
Inactive Member
Thomas in Ontario if your new outlets are in another part of your kitchen other than behind the counter, microwave, or fridge. You can put them on a 2p 15 amp breaker and wire them as a 3 wire circuit. They don't need to be splits, you could put 1 recp on L1 and the other on L2 and share the neutral. 14/3 to the 1st outlet and 14/2 to the 2nd.
This seems too be a waste of panel space if you run it as 3 wire. I'd run 14/2 to do both plugs off 1 breaker. If your kitchen and dining room are part of the same room remember, at least 1 branch circuit for dining outlet.
20 amp circuits in kitchens. Any outlet behind the counter within 1 meter of the kitchen sink must now be gfci protected. The code states 20 amp T-slot receptacles are acceptible in place of splits (before gfci rule). The T-slots follows the same rules as splits behind the counter, such as # on circuit and locations next to each other. When it comes to gfci protection within 1 meter of the sink, it's cheaper to install a 20 amp T-slot GFCI receptacle, #12/2 wire and a 20 amp 1p breaker. Try finding a split 15 amp GFCI split recp or price out a 2p 15 amp breaker.
2 wires under one terminal. Unless the manufacturer states the lug is suitable for more then 2 wires, they must terminate under there own wire lug. Look at a Fpe, Siemens, and Sq D breakers, you can tell which 1 is designed to hold 2 wires. When there is more then 1 wire under a terminal you can't gaurantee all wires will remain tight,especially if there different wire sizes.
-
February 8th, 2004, 12:33 AM
#8
Inactive Member
Hi Moouse: Where in the code book? The rule is 2-024. If a lug is rated and approved for one conductor, then installing two conductors in the lug goes beyond the specific purpose that the lug was designed for. However I must apologize I was not aware that Square D breakers are tested and approved (in some cases) for use with two conductors.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks